Thursday, June 16, 2011

Hot child in the city

There are few things that are constant in my life. One of them is my fascination with New York City. I mean come on, it’s NEW YORK!! The Big Ol’ Apple…. the city that never sleeps…..  the subject of countless pop culture references and the land where dreams come true. Audrey Hepburn eating breakfast in front of Tiffany’s; The Jets dancin’ off anger in “West Side Story”; The Ghostbusters riding in on Lady Liberty to stop Vigo from destroying the world; Meg Ryan seeing the heart appear on the Empire State Building; 
Carrie Bradshaw strutting down 5th Avenue in her Manolo Blahniks.  *sigh*

Ol’ Blue Eyes wrote a song about it and so did Ol’….. Ol’ um… whatever color Jay-Z’s eyes are. I assume they’re brown…. Ol’ Brown Eyes.  Anyhoo, “Rent”, “Annie Hall”, “Taxi Driver”, “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (best looking pizza ever)”….. Let’s not even play like I can’t go on forever. The point I am trying to make with this little ramble is that New York, with its tall buildings, iconic landmarks and hope filled air is and will always be one of the greatest cities in the world. As of June 13, 2011, I (Makia Janine Martin: Theatre major, optimistic dreamer, proud GryffinPuff and extreme hugger) am an official resident.


New York City reminds me of that really super cool girl in high school that everyone loved. She’s shiny, trendy, smart and interesting. You want to say hello. You want to be a part of her crowd but, she’s just too intimidating.  You’re afraid everything about you is too ridiculous to be in her presence. You’re too fat, your clothes are not fashionable, your personality doesn’t stand out; your humor isn’t really that humorous at all. And well let’s face it… if you try to become a part of the group, you are pretty sure she will be a heinous mega bitch. But then you suck it up. You decide that you are awesome and that she could benefit from know you. You say hello and realize after getting to know her, she’s not a mega bitch at all. She has layers to her just like you. You learn things from her. She forces you to man up and learn about who you actually are. You can hang out when ever and you have no idea why you were so scared of her in the first place. Before you know it, BAM, she’s a bridesmaid at your wedding and a lifelong friend.

This is what my blog is about. I want to document my journey in this new chapter of my life. I want to discover what kind of person I actually am and gain new experiences to build and enrich my personality. From the mundane to the extraordinary, I will document it all. I promise to be completely honest (no matter how naïve the thought). This is more of a promise to me. I won’t let anyone proof read before submitting… even though I probably should. You know what, F it! This is New York through my eyes (bad grammar and all, haha). So, here we go kids! It’s time to open the book and see where this story takes us. As the popular college poster and/or wall décor says “Live, Laugh, and Love”. I will try to do all 3 while hopefully amusing someone else in the process. I mean, I didn’t ride 9 hours all the way to New York on a cramped bus for nothin’ right?



Love always,

The girl who’s too afraid to walk over the subway grates in the sidewalk.

1 comment:

  1. Kiki, I am very excited to keep up with your blog and live vicariously though your NYC adventures! Miss you!

    ReplyDelete